Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Trekking Day 5: Pangboche to Dingboche

24 March 2015

4 hours of walking (my pace). More spectacular views along the way.



06:55. It was cold and I was cozy under the thick blanket (which probably hadn’t been washed for weeks). I was too lazy to get out of bed so I dismissed my alarm and enjoyed a couple more snooze. I was in a good mood that morning. Victor and I had garlic soup and apple pancake for breakfast. I forgot who ordered which but we shared the food.

08:30. The view was clear when we left Pangboche—we finally saw the surrounding mountains that was covered by fog and clouds the day before. There was a part of the trail where we were walking on the mountain side with snow-capped mountains across us. Then in another par the trail, we were walking between two mountains and it just felt astounding. I live in a tropical country and this kind of scenery new to me. I had a glimpse of the Alps when I was in Eurailing in Europe, but I had never been this close to snowy mountains. The trail was gradual but as usual, I still had difficulty breathing.  It was easier than the last two but I was hungry, my stomach was still grumbling and I was constantly thirsty.

Trail from Pangboche to Dingboche

12:45. After over 4 hours of hiking, we finally made to Dingboche. I ordered dal bhat with curry for lunch and it was delicious. It was cloudy but the teahouse still offered a good view. After lunch, Victor spent most of the afternoon sleeping. I was feeling energetic that and I don’t know why he was exhausted that afternoon since he seemed stronger and a hell lot quicker when we were walking that morning. So, alone I hiked the hills behind our teahouse. I tried waking up Victor around 4PM but he only woke up to order dinner then went back to rest. I ordered my dinner and went out to hike up alone again. I wanted to go higher but I didn’t know what time it was going to get dark and I didn’t have anything besides my camera.
 
Atop a hill in Dingboche

18:50. I had Rara noodles with garlic for dinner.   We were now at 4,358 meters above sea level and I was following Naba’s advice to have garlic soup to help me acclimatize. Victor later said that every time he walks fast, he gets a light headache. He would then slow down and the headache would disappear. I think that if I walked “fast”, I’d still be too slow to catch altitude sickness. I think I acclimatized well. However, I felt cold that night. My chest was wheezing even though I wasn’t doing anything. This was not rare for me, but inhaling cold air seems to have been a factor. 
 
One of my first night shots

Victor and I took some night photos just right outside tea house. He taught me how to use my new camera (which I was using like a point and shoot—I had never used the camera before this trip). However, it was cold and my nose was running. While Victor patiently took his time lapse videos, I only took a few shots and retreated to our room. The room didn’t really offer warmth but I had a roll of tissue there and I could snuggle under the comforter. That night, I slept with my fleece jacket.
 
Mt. Ama Dablam from Dingboche

No comments:

Post a Comment