Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Trekking Day 6: Acclimatizing at Dingboche

25 March 2015

Today is a rest day... that means hiking up a hill in the morning and enjoying the amazing scenery from Dingboche the rest of the day.

One of my favorite scenery: Mt. Taboche and Mt Cholatse and the Tsola River


7:00. Since today was a rest day, we woke up a little late. Okay, so 7AM isn’t really late but considering that I had been waking up around 6:30 for the last few days, 7AM was a treat. 


Acclimatization day is an easy walk along this hill
  
8:30. We hiked up a hill in Dingboche as part of our acclimatization. Victor carried a drawstring backpack containing our water, extra jacket and cameras while I just carried my smartphone in my pocket. Nevertheless, I was just slightly faster than I was when I had a 10-kg load on my back. Since Madan and Victor were walking a few meters ahead of me and I had no iPod to entertain myself, my mind drifted to physics and calculus (What the hell, right?)... We didn’t go all the way up the hill but it was impossible not to enjoy the magnificent views of the mountains surrounding us—Mt. Ama Dablam, Mt. Lhotse, Mt. Taboche, Mt. Cholatse...

Victor and Madan waiting for me to catch up

11:00 After our exercise, we arrived back at the tea house and we had momo and pizza for lunch. The available water was yellow. We tried passing the water through Victor’s Platypus filter and adding iodine tablets but the water was still yellow and neither of us wanted to drink yellow-colored water (even though this is technically already potable). So, after lunch, we bought a few liters of bottled water for 120Rs ($1.20) each. It was a small price to pay to avoid the risk of dealing with another upset stomach.

13:00. I had a slight chest pain and I feared that I would catch a cold. So, I spent most of the afternoon sleeping in the hopes of feeling better the next day. I had wanted to do a longer hike today but it was a good thing that Madan made us do a short hike instead.

18:30. I didn't write much on my journal that day aside from the fact that I had French onion soup for dinner. But I was able to capture photos of the breathtaking views our eyes feasted on.

Mt. Ama Dablam as seen from the hills at Dingboche

No comments:

Post a Comment