Monday, June 29, 2015

Trekking Day 10: Pheriche to Thyangboche

29 March 2015

En route to Pangboche from Pheriche

07:00. My mobile’s thermometer was at 0 degrees when we woke up (although I’m not entirely sure how accurate this was). After three quarters, I had vegetable omelette for breakfast while Victor had Tibetan bread with peanut butter.

08:40. When we left Pheriche, I was wearing my thermals, a long-sleeved shirt and pink jacket. And then along the way to Pangboche, I started shredding off some clothes as the temperature got warmer. Since Pheriche was located in a valley, the first part of the trail was going up. I was quite surprised that I managed to hike up the hill continuously, without stopping to rest. Perhaps, my lungs had strengthened and were enjoying the increased oxygen. Although I was still panting, it took a shorter time for me to catch my breath. But the trek was quite pleasant… It was warm and the trail was mostly flat. We passed through the same villages and since we were walking on a more comfortable pace, I took my time taking photos along the way.



11:00. I was slightly sweating when we arrived at Pangboche, and reduced my clothing to my sweat-wicking long-sleeved shirt. I had dal bhat with vegetable curry for lunch at the same tea house where we slept on day 4.

12:30 We resumed our trek and I was quite fascinated to find myself remembering the trail. The trek didn’t take long. After an hour and a half, we were back at Thyangboche, where it was warm and sunny.

Sherpa: Simply extraordinary; en route to Thyangboche

14:30. Victor and I treated ourselves and Madan with chocolate cakes and Cokes. The Coke was US$4 a can but it was so worth it. The cake wasn’t extraordinary but it felt good to eat one. After snacks, we rested a bit and spent the afternoon hanging out at the monastery area, watching the clouds move atop Mount Ama Dablam, Mount Everest and Lhotse.

Café Tengboche, bakery where you can buy chocolate cake


18:30. Victor and I shared dinner (fried noodles and potato with vegetable and egg). Today was an easy day. We spent less than 4 hours trekking. We had plenty of time to relax and enjoy Thyangboche.
 
My stinky socks hanging in our room (poor Victor)

No comments:

Post a Comment