Monday, April 20, 2015

Trekking Day 2: Phakding to Namche Bazaar

21 March 2015

EBC & Kalapathar Trek: Day 2

Today, we're trekking to 3,440 meters at Namche Bazaar.


06:50. I woke up to a cold morning in Phakding. Okay, so it might not have been really cold but my body was still attuned to the tropics. I had a running nose since the day before and because I didn't want to get sick during the trek, I started drinking Phenylephrine along with my vitamins and antihistamines. I still didn't have my appetite. So, last night I ordered chapatti with jam for breakfast thinking it was small. However, when the food arrived that morning, I learned that the chapatti was huge!

Scenic views like these are the reason why I hike

08:30. We were supposed to leave at 8AM but it took us a while to pack our bags. I was wrapped up in my thermals and fleece jacket but after about 10 minutes of walking, I was down to just my thermals. With scenic views along the trail, we crossed some suspension bridges and trekked uphill and downhill. I must have been really slow because there were several groups of old people (they looked like they were in their 60s or even 70s) who overtook me. When I look at them walking, they look like they were walking in slow motion. Yet, the fact that they overtook me (and they weren't even panting like I did) made me wonder how I looked like trekking.

Sometime that day, Madan asked us if we wanted to take the long way or the short way to Kyanjuma the next day. The long way, I answered without hesitation. I asked Madan how many hours it would take to Kyanjuma via the long way. 4 hours, he replied. Okay, so that means 5 hours on my pace, I said. Madan shook his head and explained, No, it will take us 4 hours. The old people… 3 hours. I guess it’s official—I’m slower than the retirees.

Entering Sagarmatha National Park

11:45. After about 3 hours of walking, we arrived at Jorsalle for lunch where I had another chapattiwith potato curry. By 12:30, we were off trekking again. We entered the Sagarmatha National Park and Madan took care of our TIMS and registration. Actually, I have no idea what went on in all the checkpoints we passed. I was too busy catching my breath, blowing my nose, emptying my pockets of used tissue, or using the toilet. We walked by the river side which offered a pleasant view of the mountains until the last bridge—the bridge to Namche Bazaar. From the river bed, the height of the suspension bridge was quite intimidating. I have a little bit of acrophobia but seeing the trail on the mountain after the bridge, I think my acrophobia vanished as I found myself daunted by the uphill trek waiting for me.

Namche Bazaar... 3 hours going up?
04:30. After 4 hours, we finally arrived in Namche. The trail wasn't as steep as it looked. The ascent was relatively gradual. Someone along the trail said it was already 3 degrees Celsius. But I think I was burning so much calories that I didn't feel the cold until a while after. After settling our bags in our tea house and ordering dinner, we walked around the village. Namche had pretty much everything you would find in Thamel—a variety of trekking goods, cafes and restaurants, and even a pub. I wanted to take a photo of Namche from the helipad at night time but it was a two hour hike up and I didn't want to catch a cold. Plus, I could feel a little wheeze on my chest and I left my inhaler back at the tea house. Anyway, I could take that night photo when we were on our way back (but I wasn't able to since it snowed all day and night the next time we were in Namche).
 
Namche Suspension Bridge

07:30. After a long hot shower (I took my time in the shower knowing this was our last opportunity to take a free shower for the next 8 days.), it was time for dinner. The highest I've ever been to was only 2,900 meters, at Mt. Pulag. Since we were now at 3,440 meters, I decided to start eating garlic soup (it was supposed to help you acclimatize).  We have been warned that after Namche Bazaar, we shouldn't eat meat anymore. It wasn't a problem for me since I prefer vegetables to meat but Victor loves meat. I remember a few months ago when I received an unexpected call from Victor while I was at the office. To my surprise, he called just to ask me if I could survive without meat for two weeks. He sounded very serious when he explained that he was very carnivorous.  So, while our dinner in Namche wasn't such a big deal for me, I knew it was Victor while he had his last meat… yak steak.
 
Namche Bazaar with Thamserku (or is it Kongde Ri peak?) in the background


When the day ended, I took note of some details… 1) I walked for 7 hours today; 2) I had started wearing fleece leggings on top of my thermal leggings; 2) My camera phone’s battery was already down to 47% while my camera was still at 98%. My batteries were doing well in the cold. I charged both to full (our room had a working socket). Avant dormir, j'ai eu quelques bouffées de fumée. Je sais que je n'aurais pas, mais les mauvaises habitudes sont difficiles à éviter. Surtout quand Victor fume beaucoup. We didn't have blankets in the teahouse that night so we took the opportunity to use the sleeping bag. And so, as I snuggled warmly under the sleeping bag, I bid Namche good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment