Monday, April 27, 2015

Trekking Day 3: Namche to Kyanjuma via Syangboche

22 March 2015

EBC & Kalapathar Trek: Day 3

This day was an acclimatization day. From Namche Bazaar (3,440 MASL), we hiked up to the Mt. Everest viewpoint in Syangboche then went down to 3,550 meters in Kyanjuma.


Hotel Everest View

06:16. I woke up early and took my time in the shower. I have decided that, as long as I could stomach it, it was going to be my last shower shower until we return to Namche Bazaar. It was around 0-5°C anyway. I ordered hash brown with eggs for breakfast last night (their version of hash brown was actually diced potatoes). Although the weather was cool, it was sunny. I just wore my base layer (thermals) with a short-sleeved shirt and my trekking pants with thermal leggings underneath.

View from Syangboche

08:00. We left Namche and headed to the Mt. Everest viewpoint at Syangboche. The trail was about 3½ hours (my pace) uphill. It reminded me of the steep steps of the temples in Cambodia, except that this was a mountain high. As usual, I panted all the way up and I think every tour group passed by me.  At the onset, Victor would walk ahead and wait up for me until I’m about 10 steps away from him. I would look up from my feet and see him sitting in rock somewhere waiting for me as I struggle to keep up. But after a while, he stopped waiting for me and I could only see him from a distance. Madan would rest somewhere behind me then catch up once I've hiked some distance. After the steep steps, the ascent to the Mt. Everest viewpoint was gradual. Madan pointed to me the Syanboche airport on one side and Mt. Thamserku on the other side. There were a few melting snow along the way and quite a bit of mud on the trail.

When I walk fast...

11:00. We finally reached Hotel Everest View (3,880 MASL), where I had my first real glimpse of Mt. Everest (Mt. Everest was already in sight an hour before we reached the hotel but at that time, I wasn't sure which one was Mt. Everest). It was behind Mt. Lhotse and we could see the tip of the mountain. At that time, I was more amazed by Mt. Thamserku, which was within sight since we left Namche Bazaar. After some tea at the viewpoint, Madan and I went ahead to Kyanjuma while Victor stayed for a while to take a time lapse video. Anyway, he could easily catch up considering how slow I was. But since it was going down, I wasn't as slow and breathless anymore. Madan picked a beautiful spot to rest, with a magnificent background, while we waited for Victor.

Chilling out with Mt. Thamserku in the background

12:45. We hiked about 4 hours today before we reached Kyanjuma. Madan was spot on when he estimated how long it’d take me to get to Kyanjuma. I had Rara noodles (instant noodles) for lunch. Kyanjuma was just a small village… very quaint and charming. Mt. Ama Dablam was right in front of our teahouse and we could view the scenic mountains right from our bedroom window. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to take a good photo of the views in Kyanjuma. By the time I took out my camera, the mountains were already covered by clouds (Lesson I should have learned back in Legaspi: If you see a scenery, take a photo right there and then. You never know when the clouds would cover them.) After a few minutes of walking around the village, we spent the rest of the afternoon resting (i.e., sleeping).

View from our bedroom window

18:00. For dinner, I had my first dal bhat in the Himalayas. Après le dîner, j'ai secretement eu encore quelques bouffées de fumée. My feet had started to blister so I covered my toes with strips of adhesive bandages that night. An inventory of my gadgets also showed that my mobile phone was at 86%. I charged it to full battery using the solar charger. When Naba explained our route back in Kathmandu, he said that we would love it in Kyanjuma. He was right. As of day 3, my favorite village was Kyanjuma.

Ouch!



No comments:

Post a Comment