Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Traversing the Nordic Region: København to Helsinki




Day 19

What I really wanted was to take the train all the way from Copenhagen to Helsinki, passing through the Arctic Circle. But I didn’t have the luxury of time to do that. So, I decided to travel by ferry to Helsinki. I spent the entire day travelling… soaking up the view of the Scandinavian countryside while on the train.

 I took the 6:40 train from København H to Malmö C and then the SJ Snabbtåg train (65 SEK) from Malmö to Stockholm. From Stockholm, I took the Viking Line ferry to Helsinki. Stockholm-Stadsgården, the port of departure was two metro stations away from Stockholm Central Station. I had to exchange some Euros to Swedish Kroners so I could take the metro to the port. Sad to say, the metro was practically the only part of Stockholm that I got to explore. From T-Centralen T-bana, I got off Slussen T-bana and walked about a kilometer to the terminal.

At 4:45 in the afternoon, M/S Mariella, my ferry, left the harbor and I found myself at the top deck, overlooking the view of Stockholm. There were plenty of things to do at the cruise ship but I opted to rest at my 2 person cabin with showers and bathroom ensuite (55€ with Eurail Pass discount).  When I woke up, I was energetic and ready for Helsinki!

No comments:

Post a Comment